Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Lisbon not Lisburn.

Tuesday24th

I'm sitting writing now in the wifi spot of Camping Lisboa.
The sun is setting and M and I are knackered. Todays drive was only 160 miles, but a lot of it was through very large towns, and od course Lisbon.
We found the site which is an astronomical sum, 25 euro per night by letting Norman tell us. He took us last night to camping Setubal, but he left us in the middle of the busy town and refused to tell us any more. Never mind, we slept with 10 other vans on waste ground by the docks! Sorry, back to Lisbon. It has seen better days, looking extremely tired but busy enough with about 65% occupancy!
We had a look around and were impressed enough to just get the bus into the centre.
When I asked for bus details at reception I had my tablt nder my arm. The receptionist chap, said, either leave it or hide it. It was, he said, suitably large enough to be grabbed.
On we went on the bus packed with all humanity. There are 2.8 million people in metropolitan Lisbon, and I sincerely believe folks, they all tried to get on our bus? Made the number 13 look like a Sunday school outing for Jewish children!
The city. I don't know what to tell you about because I saw nothing. It is apparently chocabloc with naval history, some of which we saw, and lasting statues of maritime heroes, again some of which we saw. But when I tell you I was more worked up about watching Margaret and her handbag, catching furtive glimpses from n'er do wells, the hills, oh my god the hills. Vertical limit r us. It was a not very good experience. Not a photo was taken, we both came back to the site in moods!

But never mind that. Tomorrow we're going to a place called Belém In the west, on the coastal road to Estoril, is the suburb of Belém. It contains some of the finest monuments in Portugal, several built during the Age of Discovery, near the point where the caravels set out to conquer new worlds. (At Belém, the Tagus reaches the sea.) At one time, before the earthquake, Belém was an aristocratic sector filled with elegant town houses.

Didn't mean to do that, but I'm fed up writing. I'm gonna fanny about on facebook, check mail, and get drunk. In that order. hope to get some pics tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment